Touch Project
Kaylen Johnson

As I read the chapter Touch, I learned that a simple touch can have so much meaning and can become so intensfied in our lives. When I was debating on what to create for this project I envisioned wanting to be able show the act of touch and the sensations, or feelings from touch throughout life. Either a photograph or a short video were my ideas, so I did one of each!

For my first piece, there were many examples in one part of the chapter that first got me thinking... "Pulling a foot out of the mud. The squish of wet sand between the toes." Here where I live in St. Augustine, these are two examples of sorts of touches that I get to feel almost every day which allow me to feel sensations that I most definitely take for granted. The adventures that we feel from our touch. The way the skin is able to feel and recieve, it allows us to feel certain moments in our world. When we explore, when we travel, when we are out in the world, living our lives and doing what we love we use our sense of touch to decipher our actions that turn into our thoughts and our feelings. The quote that inspired me for my first piece was,

"I marvel at their smoothness slither, they ping they make colliding and how relaxing it is to fidget them round and round, world over gleaming world in my hand."

I asked my friend Marina if I could film two parts of her Earth and her sensations that play along with both of the atomspheres, or the advenutres that she is apart of. Colliding Touch!




For my second piece, I wanted to create a photo. Touch can sometimes allow us to ease pain. Different bad habits can help pain seem bearable. In order to create a photo, my friend Vic was smoking a cigar in a dreary bathroom alone. I wanted the mood to feel like this was her escape. Cigars and cigarettes can calm you or give you a buzz, which could maybe allow a person to shift their attention from something going on in their life or maybe some sort of pain. I wanted to portay that in a creative way because I enjoy photography! The quote that inspired me for my second piece was,

"Shifting your attention to something else will distract you from pain; pain requires our full attention." 

In this piece her attention is elsewhere, she is hoping to mask her pain. I ended up wanting to share two of my photos: 








Comments